Our Optical Networking Research Program helps both telecommunications
equipment vendors and service providers to understand and take advantage of opportunities
in various specific optical markets.
This Research Program provides an in-depth analysis and overview of all optical systems offered on the market as
well as an evaluation and forecast of new optical switching technologies and architectures
delivering converged optical transport and bandwidth management for TDM and data
services. The program also covers new network models that address operational
issues by combining functions that exist in separate legacy systems into a single
box, thus eliminating the need for physical interconnection.
Dittberner believes that a big growth area for Network Operators will be managed wavelength services
that carry traffic like Gigabit Ethernet and 10GE. This will be the next step
in managed private line services. A new trend currently pushed by the vendors
is to use a mesh network topology with optical switching systems as an alternative
to traditional linear or ring architectures.
The reports in this category provide the following major categories of information and guidance:
- An in depth analysis of the economics of an all-optical mesh network vs traditional optical ring architecture
- Examines the capital and operational cost associated with deploying a mesh vs. ring
optical network architecture taking into consideration the revenue impact
- Provides guidance on the realistic price evolution of optical switches over the next 8 years
- Provides a realistic forecast of both optical switching technical capabilities and of market
readiness to implement these systems for each major application
- Cost-based price forecasts for large all-optical switches vs. small units, large optical
add-drop multiplexers vs small ones.
- Company overview and detailed product technical descriptions of all world-class Optical Switches and
Optical Service Node systems offered on the world market that have general availability within
the next 9 months
- Case studies of 20 pioneering telecom service providers' implementation experience
with such systems
- Installed base and on order positions of these systems, by country, by supplier, and by operator
- Optical technology trend analysis and capability forecasts
- Conclusions and recommendations for each type of telecom service provider
For more information, contact